Bogočin, also known as Vilingrad, the most hidden fortress along the Krka, is associated with a legend about tragic newlyweds.
The remains of the Bogočin fortress are located on an isolated cliff in the village of Bogatići Prominski, on the left bank of the Krka River, almost opposite the Krka monastery (Holy Archangel). It is not known when it was built, nor by whom. It was probably part of the defensive system of fortresses owned by the Nelipić family. According to the manner of construction and building, it can be dated to the 13th or 14th centuries. It is mentioned in written sources for the first time in 1486, as Bogochin. The aristocratic Martinušić family is mentioned as the first known owners of the fortress of Bogočin.
The fortress has an irregular circular shape. A wall of well-cut stone was erected on the northeastern side, with the main entrance to the fortress. The remains of a rectangular structure of unknown purpose are located inside the fortress.
The fortress was conquered by the Turks in 1522, and probably demolished. The remains of the fortress can only be reached from its eastern side, along a preserved medieval road. The supports of the drawbridge at the main gate have also been preserved. Water powered sawmills owned by the Martinušić family were located below the fortress in the 16th century.
Folk tales connect the fortress of Bogočin to the rich Prince Bogoje, who had built it for his son Bogdan and his intended Miljeva from Ključ at the mouth of the Čikola. According to the legend, her mother Čika had dressed Miljeva in the finest raiment for the wedding. Seven bans and twelve county prefects came to the celebration. But the wedding was ruined by a dragon, who grabbed the bride and carried her off to the Brljan Lake. Bogdan immediately set off to rescue her, but he disappeared into the watery depths. The inconsolable Prince Bogoje divided his wealth among the people and built the Holy Archangel monastery so that the monks would pray for him and the souls of the unfortunate pair. He also built two towers, Čučevo (Trošenj) and Nečven, into which he immured twin girls, to lament eternally for his son. He built bridges, at Miljacka and Roški slap waterfalls, where travellers paid a toll of two tears for Bogdan. The local people called the fortress Vilingrad (Fairy Castle), the stream under the fortress of Ključ Čikola (after Čika, the head ban’s wife), and the elevated land by Ključ Miljevci (after Miljeva), while the sites of Punička draga and Babin grad were also named after the ban’s wife.