Skradinski buk waterfall
The Skradinski buk waterfall is the last and seventh barrier on the Krka River, at a distance of 49 km from its source and 13 km from Roški slap waterfall.
It is the longest barrier on the Krka River. The growth of the travertine barriers at Skradinski buk has led to the Krka River forming a lake up to the Roški slap waterfall, while the lower course of the Čikola River is lake-like in a length of three kilometres, thus forming an unusual landscape feature, one of the most recognizable views in the Krka National Park. The combined waters of the Krka and Čikola Rivers flow over the seventeen steps at Skradinski buk, distributed along the 800 metres in length. The width of the cascades is between 200 and 400 metres with a total height difference of 45.7 metres. In the upper part of the cascades, there are small lakes, little streams, and islets with verdant vegetation, while the lower part has high travertine barriers, which continuously evolve, creating new ridges, caves, and overhangs.
Mosses grow in the water (Cinclidotus aquaticus and Palustriella commutata), building curtains and ridges on the perpendicular parts of the falls. The species Eucladium verticillatum dominates in the open areas, while the today rare species of Didiymodon tophaceus can be found in the shallow lake sections. The playful flight of dragonflies and butterflies, the chirping of coots, the songs of the nightingales, and the croaking of the green frogs are all part of the magical atmosphere of Skradinski buk. Watermills, fuller mills, and washing posts in the vicinity, which for centuries utilized the water power, have been renovated. The traditions of the vernacular architecture have been respected in the outfitting of individual mills as souvenir shops and taverns, while others have been transformed into places for exhibitions. The remains of the first Croatian hydroelectric power plant, Krka (Jaruga I), are located on the left bank of the river, which started up on the 28th of August 1895, just two days after the first hydroelectric plant on the Niagara River became active. The current hydroelectric power plant, Jaruga II, was built in 1904.