The Krka monastery (Holy Archangel), the spiritual centre of the Orthodox faith, stands 3.5 kilometres east of Kistanje, in a bay on the Krka River.
Erected on the foundations of an earlier Eremite monastery, it was first mentioned in the written records in 1402. A church built in the Byzantine style stands next to the monastery. Below the church there are ancient Roman catacombs, which are open to visitors. The monastery was named after the Krka River, which abounds here in plant and animal species, thanks to the water which provides them with life and the peace that is assured due to man’s absence.
- Arrival by road from Kistanje
- Excursion by boat from Roški slap (2.5 hours)
- Guided tours (30 minutes); visiting time from 8:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 17:00
- Hiking trail (2100 m)
- Dogs permited except inside monastery
- Free parking and free toilet
- Not open for visitors in January, February, March, November and December